Founder and President Joan Axelroth
Joan L. Axelroth is the founder and President of Axelroth & Associates. She has evaluated systems and services for organizations of all sizes; conducted financial audits and developed cost-recovery plans; designed and implemented plans to expand reference services and systems to improve technical services; evaluated collections and established collection development policies; counseled clients on automation and the use of electronic media; and helped clients to plan library space that is functional as well as attractive.
Joan earned an M.A. in library science from the University of Chicago. She is a member of AALL, the Special Libraries Association and several of their chapters.
Direct Contact Information: jaxelroth at axelroth.com | 301.681.1660
LIBRARY MANAGEMENT / SPACE PLANNING & DESIGN / RESOURCE SELECTION
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Books and Bytes: Balancing Formats in Today's Libraries (video teleconference broadcast to over 60 sites), American Association of Law Libraries, April 2000.
- Facilities Planning for Technical Services. Technical Services Management. Rutgers School of Communication, Information and Library Studies & Cassidy Cataloging, Newark, NJ, April 2002.
- Library Management in the Information Age. Practising Law Institute, San Francisco, February 2001 and New York City, April 2001.
- Meeting Information Needs on a Budget, The Association of Legal Administrators, May 2007. Presentation
- Staff Training and Development: How to Get From Here to There, Practising Law Institute, San Francisco, February 2008 and New York, March 2008
- The Key to Success: Keeping the Customer Satisfied. Special Libraries Association Annual Conference, San Antonio, Texas, June 2001. (Co-Presented with Mary Talley)
- The Law Library: New Models & Frameworks. Practising Law Institute, San Francisco, February 2004 and New York, April 2004.
- Combining Libraries, 14 PLL Perspectives, 3 (Spring/Summer 2003)
- Information Management Consulting, Or When It’s Good To Be A Fish Out Of Water, 17 PLL Perspectives, 3 (Spring 2006)
- Library as Workplace, 23 Legal Times 40 (October 9, 2000).
- Library Economics 101: The Costs and Benefits of Meeting Information Needs, Legal Times (July 14, 2003).
- Staffing the Modern [High Tech] Library, Legal Times (July 11, 2001).
- Talking About Customer Service, Information Outlook, Volume 5, Number 12, December 2001
- The Impact of Technology on Library Space Planning and Design, 17 Legal Reference Services Quarterly No. 3 (1999).
- What I Know Now That I Wish I’d Known Then, 13 PLL Perspectives 1 (Summer 2002).
- American Association of Law Libraries Private Law Libraries SIS
» Member, Nominations Committee Member, 2006- ; Chair, 2007-
» Association of Legal Administrators Liaison, 1997-1998
» Chair, Independent Law Librarians Special Interest Section, 1997-1998